Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Bitter Pill to Swallow

In his column a couple of days ago, Nicholas Kristof prescribed "A 12-Step Program for Responding to President-Elect Trump."  Overlooking for the moment the liberties he takes with the original 12-step program, I am grateful to Mr. Kristof for calling us to action and warning us against curling up in our "echo chambers," licking our wounds, and nursing our grievances.  
I am particularly struck by his Step #8, here in its entirety:
8. I WILL resist dwelling in an echo chamber. I will follow smart people on Twitter or Facebook with whom I disagree. I will also try to enlarge my social circle to include people with different views, recognizing that diversity is a wonderful thing — and that if I know only Clinton supporters, then I don’t have a clue about America.
Guilty, as charged: I fear I don’t have a clue about America.  Possibly, I could identify family, friends, and acquaintances who did not support Hillary Clinton, but I can’t be sure as to their beliefs, their reactions to the election, their dreams about the future, and I am at fault for not knowing.  In fact, if ever I suspected someone of holding political beliefs contradictory or hostile to my own, I worked hard to avoid engaging them on controversial topics. 
My neighbor, for example, almost certainly didn’t vote for Hillary, and suggested, to my hearing, as she puttered about her flower beds, that she has hope for the coming administration, with a smattering of relief at the expiration of the current one.  I can’t say for certain, however, because I didn’t probe any further than my tender nerves would tolerate.  I mumbled and grumbled something depressive, and shambled off behind my dogs to whom politics have little relevance.  No wonder we envy the dog’s life. 
I don’t trust myself, frankly, to interact cordially, should the conversation turn to politics and the current condition of our society and our world.  I am too quick to judge, too quick to repudiate and ridicule.  I don’t trust myself to maintain calm in the face of what seems to me so obvious, and, what’s more, supported by empirical data (sometimes known as “facts”).  I so admire media personalities such as Ira Glass of This American Life: in an episode entitled “Seriously?” he interviews his uncle Lenny, who believes wholeheartedly in a variety of conspiracy myths that have been repeatedly debunked (“fact-checked,” a process that Rush Limbaugh says is “designed … to fool you.”).  In the course of his conversation with Uncle Lenny, Ira manages to stay cordial, to offer alternative viewpoints supported by documentation and evidence, all summarily dismissed.  Honestly, I wouldn’t know how to proceed if faced with that kind of entrenched myopia. 
I admit to my own myopia.  I trust in the facts that support my beliefs, and I’m reluctant and even resistant when confronted by contradictory evidence.  I need to get over that, to learn to listen to the other side, but even more, to learn how to respond constructively to arguments that seem misinformed, misguided, or even dangerous.
Kristof advises that I “follow smart people … with whom I disagree.”  That’s a start, I guess.  But it doesn’t help, really, with the engagement required.  “Follow”: social media has changed the word itself.   To follow someone once meant to swear fealty to, to be guided by; now, it implies a kind of electronic voyeurism.  Sure, social media, in most cases, allow for “comments,” but do posted comments amount to conversation?   Even eavesdropping, Kristof suggests, may be a good place to start, since “[d]iversity is a wonderful thing.”  But if we all just stay firm on our diverse positions, how is diversity wonderful?  Can we grow, can we alter our views, can we become more understanding, more tolerant, more cooperative, and more constructive just by listening?  I’m not sure.
But I accept Kristof’s challenge, and I believe I may have found someone to help me start my own transformative process.  Both The New Yorker and The New York Times Magazine recently ran pieces that might make it possible for me to learn more about Glenn Beck. 
Previously, I have only known Beck from the reports of the “liberal media,” my own echo chambers, that have portrayed him for years as a frothing madman spouting accusations about any number of hideous conspiracies, including several derived from Barack Obama’s “deep-seated hatred for white people.” 
That was the old Beck, he insists: “I did a lot of freaking out about Barack Obama.”  But he claims to have recently undergone a transformation, effected primarily by Michele Obama’s New Hampshire speech: “Obama made me a better man.”
He regrets calling the President a racist and counts himself a Black Lives Matter supporter. “There are things unique to the African-American experience that I cannot relate to,” he said. “I had to listen to them.”
“Please be better than I was,” Beck says to the liberal audience of the Times.  “What we need now is for reasonable people to sit down with each other and say: O.K., your guy wasn’t the end of the world. My guy wasn’t the end of the world. How can we talk to each other?”
I no longer have the luxury of being able to dismiss the gesture.  It is no longer an option to refuse Beck’s offer to talk.  I will subscribe to his email newsletter, I may even listen to his radio show, and I will try to keep an open mind.  I only hope that I am a good enough person to follow through.


No comments:

Post a Comment